On Monday I flew from KC to Traverse City, MI via Detroit. I went with my manager to do a presentation for one of our clients in Petoskey. It was interesting that the plane from KC to Detroit was smaller than the plane from Detroit to Travers City. I guess I found that odd. Once in TC, we rented a car and drove north to Petoskey. It took us about an hour and forty minutes of drive time. The roads were clean for the most part but sections definitely slowed us down. We ate in Charlevoix at a restaurant called the Weathervane. It was right on a small river that ran through the town. It was maybe 5 degrees but the water was still moving. I was quite impressed with the meal. I had a stuffed white fish that would fit in nicely with many upscale restaurants in KC, but for half the price. We then headed further north to reach Petoskey. You remember how much snow they get in Michigan, but you kind of forget at the same time... if that makes sense. The snow was thick and piled everywhere. There was no wind, but the air felt moist. I also forgot how that moist cold air goes right through you. My blood has definitely thinned since I moved to KC.
.
The meeting went fine on Tuesday. We drove back to Traverse City, ate downtown at a diner Jen and I used to frequent when up north and then headed to the airport. It was my first time to see an airport that was closed. Yes, the airport only has flights in the late afternoon and evening. They actually had a metal gate that prevented us from going through security. The security team showed up about 2:00pm, opened the gate and allowed us to go through. You can tell they don't have a lot of traffic because they inspected everything. Anal doesn't describe it. They also wanted to over-explain every step. They must have a lot of first time flyers in TC. The airport, by the way, had 4 gates. So we hung out in a designated sitting area and checked email. We left TC about 3:10 and had a 3 hour layover in Detroit. I basically read a magazine and watched CNN until it was time to board our plane.
.
I believe I'll be making a few more trips to Petoskey, but hopefully, we can move those to May or June when Norther Michigan is at its best. There isn't a better place on earth come summer time.
No comments:
Post a Comment