Sunday, June 12, 2011

smoking

Last weekend I tried a new approach to smoking pork tenderloin.   It worked out great. 

I took the loin and instead of cutting it to stuff it, I opened it up like a pinwheel. It basically unrolled to fit onto a cookie sheet. Once flat I added my favorite cheddar and bacon brats (2 of them). I took the casing off the brats, flattened out the meat and then added it as a layer on top of the loin. I then added some yellow mustard, garlic, some baby food applesauce, ground peppercorns, chipotle flakes and then rolled the loin back into a loaf. I then added a rub to the outside of the loin and wrapped it in smoked bacon to hold it together.

I let it sit for 3 hrs in the fridge and then put it in the smoker for 3 hrs at 240. It came out perfect. Kids (1 yr old and 3 yr old) couldn't stop eating it. The meat was tender and had great taste.
 
I think my next project is to either smoke prime rib or try making a smoked cream of tomato soup.

No comments: