Sunday, April 25, 2010

Weekend Update

This past weekend was a tough one. On Friday, Parker had his episode from 3:30 pm to about 10:00 pm. Saturday, it lasted from 4:30 till 11:30pm. I always understood Colic as being tough on the parents, but you really don't understand until you go through it. It just beats you down. Jen was such a champ about it. She just kept rocking and trying different things. We have yet to find a position, or resting place that helps. When you hold him in your arms, he's fine for a few minutes and then starts screaming again. You can lay him on his side, on his stomach, on your chest, on your knees... nothing seems to help. The Baby Papasan works to some degree, but it only vibrates for 10 mins. Swing would work better if the music would last, but it doesn't. For white-noise we are using a fan and a vacuum. Yes.. a vacuum. Both seem to help. But Jen is still experimenting and we are hopeful. This morning, Parker was pretty quite so Jen was able to take a 3 hr nap. She needed it. Tomorrow Jen will take Parker to our Chiropractor. We have heard that helps. Outside of his Colic, Parker has been very active. He loves looking around and really like to spend time on his stomach. He also lifts his head a bunch. He's much stronger at this age than Madison was.

Sonic had a really rough couple of days. Friday night he gagged and coughed up 7 times from Midnight to 5am. I had a horrible night sleeping, if I slept at all. In addition to getting sick daily, he's basically stopped eating and barely moves. A few weeks ago I told Jen when Sonic tells us he's ready, we'll make the call. I think he's been giving us that look. He's ready. We called our vet and we'll be putting him to sleep Monday afternoon. I wish I could play the tough guy role, but he's been a big part of our life for over 13 years. I hope tomorrow when they're putting him to sleep, that he knows that.

On a happier note, I bought a new coffee maker. I've never really been one to drink coffee, but we decided to try the single cup maker. Coffee in 1 min. It was easy, quick and I have a variety of coffees/teas to try. Most importantly, our parents will no longer need to bring their own coffee when they visit. Maybe they'll come down more often now... =)

No comments: