Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sonic

This month, Sonic turns 13 and he is starting to slow down a bit. Darin and I have noticed over the past few months he has been different. However, on Friday we had more of a surprise than expected. Darin let Sonic outside to go to the restroom, when he came back in the house, he just "fell" on the ground- very limp and started coughing, almost like he had a "hair ball." It took him a few seconds to catch his breath then he was okay. We noticed he has been breathing harder. I called our mobile vet who was on vacation. However, he referred us to another vet or emergency care. Darin and I thought we'd wait to see our vet (since he knows Sonic's history). But if his condition worsened we would go to the ER vet. On Sunday, he had another episode, similar to Friday, so on Monday I called the vet who set up an appointment with us for this evening. When I arrived home from work tonight, I let Sonic outside to go to the restroom. Once completed, he immediately collapsed- fully limp, was not breathing, eyes rolled back and had a white tongue. I picked him up, blew air on him and cuddled/shook him until he came to. The vet arrived five minutes later, thank goodness. Based on the symptoms, the vet thought Sonic was anemic. The vet performed some blood work, listened to Sonic's breathing and had Sonic run around in the yard. The blood work came back normal. Sonic's heart murmur was at the same level it has been for three years. So, the vet gave us some medication to help strengthen Sonic's heart. We are to use it for three days, if he is doing better, great. If not, the next stage is to see a Cardiologist. We hope Sonic is okay and I pray this medication works for him.

No comments: