Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Disappointing Weekend

I had planned on playing in a poker tournament in Detroit on Friday, December 5th. I left KC Friday morning and arrived in Chicago with no problems. After a 2 hour layover, I boarded my next plane to Detroit. It was one of those smaller planes with 2 seats on each side. We sat on the plane for a bit and appeared to be leaving late when the pilot announced they had some mechanical problems and we needed to leave the plane. Supposedly it would only take 30 minutes. Over an hour later they told us we were changing planes and had to move to a new gate. This flight was suppose to leave at 2:30, almost 2 hours later than my initial flight. At a little after 2:30 they told us our flight was going to be cancelled and we need to call reservations to make other plans. This may not sound that bad, but there was a flight leaving for Detroit at about 2:40 and had space for most of us. All of us on this little plane missed it as a result. I called reservations via their red "bat" phone and found out they couldn't get me into Detroit until after 10:30pm. By the time I'd rent a car and get to tourney it would be close to 11:30. Far too late to play.

I made some calls and got my hotel and car rental cancelled and decided to return to KC that night. My weekend of poker and seeing friends from Michigan was torpedoed. Hopefully, I can make it out for some event this winter.

No comments: